Types of hosting services
A hosting solution pertains to storing and/or sharing particular content on a hosting server administered by a web hosting company. There are different kinds of hosting services utilized for different aims, so let's study them. Doing so, you can elect what you want, depending on whether you desire to set up a web portal, email accounts, or to share files with chums and colleagues.
- File hosting: a service made available by various web hosts, which allows you to share immense files. These could be disk images, films, audio files, archived files, etc. This service is also known as file storage, and its sole function is to share files, since it does not support web site uploading. Once the files are uploaded, you will either obtain a randomly created download link for each of them, or you will be able to explore a list of all the files in a directory, but you will not be able to view .html or .php web site files in your browser. Free-of-cost file hosting plans frequently include ads beside the download links, while a timer makes you wait for a certain spell of time to perceive them. A single file can be downloaded with limited speed. If you buy a paid file hosting package, there are no limits as to how many files you can upload/download instantly, and also there is no limitation with regard to the download speed or the file size.
At the moment, with the assistance of the cPanel hosting merchandisers, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more trendy "cloud hosting". This is a completely untrue interpretation of the literal meaning of "cloud hosting". An actual cloud website hosting platform would share the workload between autonomous stacks of web hosting servers in a cluster, which are committed to attending miscellaneous webspace hosting services (email, web space, statistics, DNS, databases, hosting Control Panel, and so on.) So, the file hosting solution is merely a sort of a storage space hosting solution, not a cloud hosting one. It's not even near.
- Image hosting: close to file hosting; given firms provide a hosting service for pictures only. This hosting kind is good if you wish to share a large quantity of images with buddies or colleagues since the solution is typically free of charge. You will obtain a random link for every image or album and you can subsequently share this link. As with the file storage service, .html and .php files are not compatible, so the service cannot be used for sites.
- Email hosting: a service committed to handling your email accounts. Some providers offer web page hosting services for sites, but do not provide an email hosting solution. If you desire to own an e-mail address with your domain name but do not wish to have a web site, then the e-mail hosting solution is what you require. You can open email mailbox accounts and administer them, but there will be no hosting service for the domains. The email hosting service includes incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP e-mail servers.
- Video hosting: this solution enables you to upload and share videos. You can either share a link to a given video clip, or you can embed the video in your web page that is hosted elsewhere. The benefit of utilizing this method instead of uploading the video in a hosting account is that the video clip produces a given amount of central processing unit load, so with a few video clips and a few hundred website visitors, you may have a hard time with your web page hosting quotas. Embedding the video clip will permit you to manage as many videos as you want to without bothering about system supplies.
- Web site hosting: this is the solution that you require if you wish to run a site. To a certain extent, it incorporates all of the aforementioned hosting varieties since, along with your sites, you can also host pictures and files, you can have databases and electronic mail accounts, upload videos, and so on. At WEVOPP, for example, you can take a glimpse at web hosting and dedicated web server hosting services that allow you to get all of the aforesaid services in one place. There may be limitations depending on the form of hosting solution that you've selected - a free hosting plan, a paid shared hosting package, a VPS or a dedicated server. Depending on that, your site hosting package may be better or worse compared with the routine email/file/video/image hosting accounts that are tailored for particular content exclusively.